Huchuy Qosco Trek
The Huchuy Qosco trek is a really nice and not too challenging option that combines nature, original Inca Trails a community visit and a guided tour of the little known Inca site of Huchuy Qosco. Taking you off the beaten track you get away from the all the crowds of the better known treks but still get to enjoy all the amazing things Peru has to offer. The Huchuy Qosco trek is perfect for those with a short time frame or who are looking for an easier trekking route.
Day 1: Cusco - Tambomachay - Qenko
Starting from the Inca site of Tambomachay just outside of Cusco our path leads us over high passes, through valleys and small communities and past beautiful mountain lakes. With large swathes of grassland and large open lakes the area is home to a wide variety of birds including Andean Geese, Partridges and Lapwings as well as a variety of birds or prey, all of which are regularly spotted throughout the day.
Our goal for today is the village of Qenko located close to Lake Qoricocha (Golden Water). Qenko is a traditional Andean community; located high above Cusco and the Sacred Valley the people here still maintain the customs and traditions of ages past and the majority of villagers gain their income from herding llamas and alpacas. As only a few tourists come this way the people are always intrigued to see who has come to visit their village and to welcome them with open arms.
Day 2: Qenko - Huchuy Qosco - Lamay - Aguas Calientes
Today has two main focuses, learning about the customs and culture of the Andean people and a visit to the Inca site of Huchuy Qosco. Waking up early we'll be taken by our guide to one of the houses where we'll get to meet a local family. The people are incredibly welcoming and are just as eager to learn about you as you are of them; they don't get many visitors in this area and are always interested to find out about you. After the visit you'll have the opportunity to give any gifts you've brought for the local people and also to buy some of the locally made
Following the visit we'll make our way to Huchuy Qosco. The route follows an original Inca Trail that leads us down a beautiful, secluded valley that is filled with native plants, flowers and birds. It really feels like another world compared to the high grasslands we've left behind. In total it takes about two and a half hours to reach Huchuy Qosco and after a break to rest and take in the views of the Sacred Valley you'll have a guided tour of the site to learn about the Inca people and their culture. In the afternoon we head down in to the Sacred Valley to the village of Lamay where we take a bus to Ollantaytambo and then a train to Aguas Calientes.
Day 3: Machu Picchu!
Waking up early we'll take the first bus back up to Machu Picchu to enter the site as it opens. We'll have a 2 hour guided tour of the site during which you'll learn about the Incas and visit all the most important areas of the citadel. After your tour you'll have free time to explore the site by yourself and if you have permits to climb either Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu mountain. In the afternoon you will take the train back to Ollantaytambo from where you will carry on by bus back to Cusco.
- Professional English Speaking Tour Guide
- Assistant Tour Guide for groups of 9+
- Mules to carry cooking and camping equipment plus 7kg of your personal items.
- Pick-up from Plaza Regocijo
- Transportation by bus to Tambomachay and from Lamay to Ollantaytambo
- Train from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
- Return transportation by train and bus to Cusco
- Water (excluding the first 4 hours of the trek when you need to bring your own)
- 2 Breakfasts, 2 Lunches, 2 Afternoon Snacks and 2 Dinners. If you have a dietary request such as vegetarian food please let us know.
- Dining tent with tables and chairs
- 4 man tent for every 2 trekkers
- 3 Star Hotel on Day 2
- Sleeping mattress
- Oxygen bottle
- First aid kit
- Entrance to Huchuy Qosco and Machu Picchu
- Return bus from Machu Picchu to Aguas Calientes
Does Not Include
- Sleeping Bag (Can be hired from us)
- Breakfast on Day 1 and lunch and dinner on Day 3
- Entrance to Huayna Picchu Mountain
- Travel Insurance - you are strongly recommended to take out travel insurance for the duration of your trip.